The Aschaffenburg courthouse is a beautiful example of the quality of public buildings erected in the german postwar period. Built between 1957 and 1960 on the site of the old courthouse destroyed during World War 2, it is a listed monument since 2012. It features a masterfully detailed architecture as well as many artworks made specifically for the building (among others a series of murals by the painter Christian Schad). In order to ensure its functionality as a courthouse, the building is being carefully renovated. A vertical extension containing additional courtrooms is added to the original structure, as well as new staircases - one replacing a small house next to the courthouse itself. The newly added parts, while engaging in a dialogue with the existing, speak their own contemporary language.
Fthenakis Ropee Architektenkooperative